The target audience for this course is all new-hire N7 personnel. This course is also appropriate for experienced N7 personnel who want to refresh their proficiency in certain subject matter areas.
Prerequisites for this course include completion of the following courses:
- Introduction to Military Sealift Command
- MSC Regulatory Standards, Inspections, Maintenance Availability Overview, and Engineering Budgets
- Government Contracting, RCA, RCM, and ENCON
- MSC Work Item Writing Fundamentals
- MSC Work Item Estimating Fundamentals
- Maintenance Availability Planning and Management, Drydocking, and Logistics
This workshop provides an in-depth examination of the application of Root Cause Analysis (RCA) and Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) principles, which are elements of MSC’s maintenance philosophy. This workshop includes practical exercises that provide an opportunity to apply RCA and RCM principles and techniques to example maintenance problems. This course consists of the following modules:
- Using logic analysis to follow failures back to their sources.
- Failure root types: physical and human.
- Sequence of analysis:
- Component Failure Analysis (CFA)
- Root Cause Investigation (RCI)
- Root Cause Analysis (RCA)
- Difference between preventive and reactive analysis.
- Benefits and savings aspects of root cause analysis.
- Different types of logical analysis models.
- What causes decreases in reliability
- RCM principles
- Applying RCM principles – examples
- Using RCM to improve SAMM maintenance requirements
- SAMM audit
RCA and RCM Workshop