Registration for this course is now closed. Please complete the Audit & Waiting List form below if you are still interested in attending this course.
The classification process and its interrelationship with international and flag regulations is not always
well understood. This course will provide port engineers with an insight into the evolution of classification
and statutory requirements, with particular emphasis on in-service surveys and engineering plan review.
During this three-day course, experienced instructors explain best practices to prepare for in-service class
and statutory surveys to confirm that the concepts are clearly defined and understood. In addition,
instructors will explain the process of the ABS engineering plan review as it relates to MSC.
- Evolution of classification societies and IACS & What is ABS
- Scope of classification surveys:
- Surveyor’s role, Class surveys, Surveys during and after construction:
- Damage surveys, Equipment certification, Cargo gear surveys
- Relationship between classification and statutory surveys (ABS & USCG)
- Type Approval Program
- Scope of statutory surveys:
- Delegation of authority by flag Administrations
- Status of the surveyor during statutory surveys
- Safety construction, safety equipment, safety radio surveys
- Intervals and scope
- Engineering Plan Review:
- Process for Review and Approval of Proposed Design Changes
- Engineering Contacts/Departments
- Plan review process